Re: [wmii] More newbie strangeness -- no window decorations?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:50:32 +0200

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:25:35AM -0400, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
> Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> >You mean EWMH hints? Nah, that will break with apps not
> >supporting EWMH. It works quite well, if an app requests screen
> >size to handle it as fullscreen app. Many other WMs do it the
> >same way.
> >
> But clearly in this the current behavior doesn't manage my windows
> correctly. The whole idea of having wmii completely manage the layout
> of windows is precisely so the user doesn't need to think about this
> kind of stuff.

Under normal circumstances no client requests screen size. This
is only the case for fullscreen clients. I haven't seen others
who request screen size, than explicitely those fullscreen
clients.

> Furthermore, since when did the X11 specification say that
> requesting a window the size of the screen or larger was semantically a
> request that it be made "full screen"? Apps that expect this behavior

Not 'or larger', only if it is equal to screen size. If it is
larger, it should be made to fit on the screen, which is
currently not the case (same with bogus offsets).

> are broken because they're relying on a behavior that isn't actually
> specified anywhere. Using EWMH, as distasteful as it may be at least
> has a valid semantic meaning.

Nah, I don't think such apps are broken. If an app requests
screen size with x=y=0 it is quite clear that it will be mapped
with the full screen area. Anyway, there are different ways how
apps implement fullscreen support:

- there are apps who create a override_redirect window, which
  has screen size and who raise/map it on their own to provide
  fullscreen support (qiv behaves that way)
- there are apps who set width and height to screen
  width/height respectively (mplayer, xpdf behave that way)
- there are apps who use MWM/EWMH or other propietary hints to
  notify other clients about that they request to be fullscreen
  (might be that mplayer behaves that way additionally)

In either case, the most natural and simple looking is setting the
width/height to screen size in my eyes (with x=y=0)...

Regards,