Re: [wmii] More newbie strangeness -- no window decorations?

From: Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw_AT_cis.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 09:25:35 -0400

Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> You mean EWMH hints? Nah, that will break with apps not
> supporting EWMH. It works quite well, if an app requests screen
> size to handle it as fullscreen app. Many other WMs do it the
> same way.

    But clearly in this the current behavior doesn't manage my windows
correctly. The whole idea of having wmii completely manage the layout
of windows is precisely so the user doesn't need to think about this
kind of stuff.

    Furthermore, since when did the X11 specification say that
requesting a window the size of the screen or larger was semantically a
request that it be made "full screen"? Apps that expect this behavior
are broken because they're relying on a behavior that isn't actually
specified anywhere. Using EWMH, as distasteful as it may be at least
has a valid semantic meaning.

--
[Geoff Washburn|geoffw@cis.upenn.edu|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]