[wmii] Re: wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion

From: Jeremy Hankins <nowan_AT_nowan.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 08:54:42 -0400

"Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> writes:

> (*) Each tag contains a file pro area (0 == floating area, 1,... ==
> columns), whereas each line looks as follows:

If I understand this correctly, this means that selecting an arbitrary
client is now two steps rather than three, right? I.e., select the
view, then the client, as opposed to selecting the view, the column, and
then the client. That much more matches the semantics, IMHO, because
one can have a client displayed in multiple views, but not multiple
columns in the same view. This will also simplify code I'm using to
find & switch to clients considerably.

While we're talking about the fs, is there any possibility of a
"DestroyClient" event? I'd like to generate a list of client focus
events*, but in order to keep the list clean & meaningful I'd need to
remove clients from it when they're destroyed. I can partially
accomplish this by checking for client number conflicts on CreateClient.
But that still means that there will occasionally be bogus clients
(clients that have been destroyed) in the list. If I clean the list on
demand (e.g., when a request to switch to that client fails) I'll also
be running that code on key-presses rather than client window
destruction, which could impact responsiveness.

* I could then use this list to implement commands like "go back to the
  previous selection", cycling of clients matching a particular
  criteria, etc.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan_AT_nowan.org>