Re: [wmii] wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 09:47:22 -0400

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 08:41 -0400, Bill Puschmann wrote:

> (NOT intending to sound negative)
> It sounds like you're still trying to think of tags as workspaces.
> TAGS != WORKSPACES. Uriel beat that into my head. And, for once, I'm
> glad he did. By insisting that you need tags listed in a specific
> order, you're not using them correctly. In fact, listing them
> alphabetically is the only correct way to use tags - because they are
> a dynamic set of all existing items... not an ordered list.
>
> They were, while in development, originally mapped to numbers. That,
> IMHO, was GREAT for development - BAD for philosophy. Too many people
> have mistaken them as workspaces. First thing anyone coming to WMII
> should do is to start mapping them to short words. Like you did with
> dev and web. But at that point, don't think of it as a "dev space" or
> a "web space" -- but as "a set of all dev windows" or "a set of all
> web windows". Ordering them left and right only confuses the idiom.
> (and for the same reasons, I can't stand the "choose next tag"
> shortcuts that people are requesting.... because it encourages an
> incorrect view of the environment.... but I love the mappings of first
> tag to "$MODKEY-1", etc that some wonderful saint posted to the code
> snippets page - not because of "first" or "second" but because I can
> count when I look at the bottom left of the screen :)

Agree with all above.

Is this "wrong" thinking, or shouldn't I be able to choose to "view"
multiple tags at the same time? For instance, $MODKEY-t, then type in
"email+www" to view everything tagged either email or www? For that
matter, maybe I'd want to select "email|www" for the union of those tags
and "email&www" for the intersection of those tags.
-RPM