Re: [wmii] wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion

From: Bill Puschmann <puschy_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 08:41:13 -0400

(NOT intending to sound negative)
It sounds like you're still trying to think of tags as workspaces. TAGS !=
WORKSPACES. Uriel beat that into my head. And, for once, I'm glad he did.
By insisting that you need tags listed in a specific order, you're not using
them correctly. In fact, listing them alphabetically is the only correct
way to use tags - because they are a dynamic set of all existing items...
not an ordered list.

They were, while in development, originally mapped to numbers. That, IMHO,
was GREAT for development - BAD for philosophy. Too many people have
mistaken them as workspaces. First thing anyone coming to WMII should do is
to start mapping them to short words. Like you did with dev and web. But
at that point, don't think of it as a "dev space" or a "web space" -- but as
"a set of all dev windows" or "a set of all web windows". Ordering them
left and right only confuses the idiom. (and for the same reasons, I can't
stand the "choose next tag" shortcuts that people are requesting.... because
it encourages an incorrect view of the environment.... but I love the
mappings of first tag to "$MODKEY-1", etc that some wonderful saint posted
to the code snippets page - not because of "first" or "second" but because I
can count when I look at the bottom left of the screen :)

I agree that your workspace names are mangled. But I think that your mental
picture of the window manager is just slightly incorrect. I promise I'm not
trying to sound negative.