Re: [wmii] wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:42:35 +0200

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:40:57AM -0300, Fernando Canizo wrote:
> El 09/jun/2006 a las 07:21 -0300, Anselm me decía:
> > New (proposal):
> >
> > [The idea is to remove the column-representation in the fs-hierarchy,
> > because this is not used.]
>
> > /tagrules
> > /tag/NAME/0 (floating clients) (*)
> > /tag/NAME/1 (column 1) (*)
> > /tag/NAME/ctl
> >

> > (*) Each tag contains a file pro area (0 == floating area, 1,... == columns), whereas each line looks as follows:
>
> Since you are considering modifying the fs, please take in
> consideration my sugestion for tags having an order property, so we
> can have ordered tags without having to put numbers in their names or
> relaying on strange names.
>
> I want my 'dev' tag to come after my 'web' tag no matter what
> abecedary says, and without mangling the names like: '3.web' '4.dev'
>
> /tag/some_name/order
>
> where order takes an integer from 0 to n
>
> If user puts same number on two or more tags, then they get
> lexicographically ordered.
>
> Also i like having all the tags in one place, not like wmii-3 stable
> release wich has all flying around. I like that 'tag/' dir.

I think having alphabetically ordered tags looks simple to
understand and is simple from an implementation point of view. I
don't think that it is worth the effort to clutter the tag
namespace with order files. If prepending a number looks
awkward, what about using 'browse' instead of 'web' that 'dev'
appears after 'browse'...

Regards,