[wmii] Re: wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:39:00 +0200

On 6/12/06, Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_AT_comcast.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:40:40AM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> >> I absolutely disagree and I've thought the current behaviour has been
> >> broken from the start. I don't like to think as columns as a bunch of
> >> clients and I don't like to have to pick some random client when I want
> >> resize a column. If anything, I'd set the height by client, but
> certainly
> >> not the width.
> >
> >I can live with either way. But your approach with
> >distinguishing columns from clients is different from what
> >happens if you resize a managed client with mouse... That is
> >client-driven, thus I decided to also make the
> >kb-driven interface to be consistent with this behavior.
> >Anyway, it might be fair to differentiate between the
> >kb-interface and mouse-interface in this question for managed
> >clients.
> To be honest, I've never been happy with the mouse behavior either, but I've
> never had a better idea that was worth replacing it with, other than the
> obvious one of grab boxes, which *should* also treat columns as columns.
> Nevertheless, I'd be happy with the discrepency, because it is so obvious
> and
> natural for the fs to work this way that I can't overlook it.

Resize of managed areas with the mouse has always been terminally
broken, but hey, rather than fixing it, for consistency lets break
everything else. Great idea.

Clients should only allow grow/shrink/move vertically, cols the same
bug horizontally, I'm afraid cols will need their own form of
pseudo-drag-boxes. I have a GUI thought out to do this while wasting
as little screen space as possible, and probably allowing managed area
resize with the mouse. But this is getting far ahead of ourselves,
lets fix client resizing first.

uriel