Re: [wmii] Re: wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:10:09 +0200

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 03:39:00PM +0200, Uriel wrote:
> Resize of managed areas with the mouse has always been terminally
> broken, but hey, rather than fixing it, for consistency lets break
> everything else. Great idea.

It has never been possible to resize the managed area with
mouse, thus this can't be broken at all. Client resizals work
quite well, dunno why you mean this is broken?

I can agree once we allow border based resizals, that vertical
borders might affect the colums and horizontal borders the
clients in managed mode. But if we do so, we should drop the
current way completely. I don't see the need having several ways
of resizing things, it confuses the concept and people to much.
There should always be one and only one way to do something.

> Clients should only allow grow/shrink/move vertically, cols the same
> bug horizontally, I'm afraid cols will need their own form of
> pseudo-drag-boxes. I have a GUI thought out to do this while wasting
> as little screen space as possible, and probably allowing managed area
> resize with the mouse. But this is getting far ahead of ourselves,
> lets fix client resizing first.

I don't think we need a special representation of colums if we
define dragging vertical borders affects the column, horizontal
borders affects the client. Exception: floating/sticky layers.