Re: Bar going away? (was: Re: [wmii] Re: wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion)

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:36:57 +0200

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:14:49PM +0200, Uriel wrote:
> >You mean something like the OSX widgets layer or the ion3
> >scratchpad layer? That might be worth considering (esp. for
> >external dockbar apps). We need in any case the possibility to
> >define the width (at least) of the managed layer relatively that
> >such an sticky layer would make any sense.
>
> What I mean is that they should be on a layer on top of both managed
> and unmanaged layers (in the Z axis). they should be free floating and
> should be possible to move anywhere, both over the managed area or
> anywhere else, I see no point in restricting their possition as they
> are basically fixed in place.

Fair enough, I hadn't in mind that such sticky app would be
fixed in its position. But if its position is changed it is
changed in all views... (or better to say, such sticky apps are
view-independent).

> I also think that probably (not sure) it is a good idea to make the
> geometry of the managed area the same across all views.

I'm not sure either about this question. I'd like to begin with
a global setting and wait until there is a good reason to allow
view-specific geometries for managed area.

Regards,