Re: [wmii] Menu interface

From: Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:45:43 -0400

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 12:38:20AM +0200, Julian Stecklina wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I already mentioned it on IRC, but wouldn't it be an improvement to
>integrate wmiimenu's functionality into wmiiwm and expose it through 9P?
>For the usual Mod+p program menu it could work as follows:
>
>1. wmiirc creates a list of all executables and stores it into
>/menu/programs.
>
>2. The user presses Mod+p. wmiirc writes "show programs" into
>/menu/ctl. wmiiwm displays the menu.
>
>3. If the user selects a menu item an event is generated,
>e.g. MenuSelect programs xterm
>
>4. wmiirc starts xterm

This is an interesting interface, actually. I can see it working well with
actions and views as well; the views file would be updated only when a view is
added or removed. It also has the advantage of keeping the list hashed and the
program in memory, thereby decreasing startup time. I'll look into
implementing this as a patch as soon as enough changes take place to make it
feasible. If it turns out to be useful, I'll see what I can do about making it
official.

>Being really good at C++ is like being really good at using rocks to
>sharpen sticks. - Thant Tessman
Static signatures are so blase. *sigh* (It's true, of course, though)

--
Kris Maglione
A conservative is one who is too cowardly to fight and too fat to run.