Re: [wmii] Xinerama ??

From: Wael Nasreddine <wael_AT_siemens-mobiles.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:30:42 +0200

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 11:35:55AM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:10:00PM -0400, Kris Maglione wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 03:38:37AM +0200, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> > >I have started using wmi since 2 weeks so i'm still more/less newbie
> > >regarding
> > >wmii, I just want to know how xinerema does work with wmii, coz ATM i can
> > >only
> > >use it in floating mode, otherwize window will occupy both monitors and
> > >since
> > >one is 1280x768(left LCD) and one is 1280x1024(Right CRT), the window will
> > >be
> > >displayed wrong on the smaller screen.
>
> You can use multihead setups during meantime until wmii-4 in October.
>
> > Wmii currently has no Xinerama support. Work has just begun to add it, but
> > it will only be added to wmii-4. In wmii-3, you can create 2 columns and
> > manually size them to not cross the screen. Currently, in wmii-4, you can
> > define a set of colrules to automatically create columns of the correct
> > size. Xinerama support in wmii-4 will involve showing a single tag on each
> > screen.
>
> Showing different tags on a Xinerama multiscreen won't work,
> because a client can only be visible in one position at a time.
> If I have two 1600x1200 screens and a client tagged 1+2 it is
> technically impossible to display it on both Xinerama screens at
> the same time.
>
> I think that Xinerama support needs the refactoring of Area. In
> particular, we need to replace area with something like:
>
> - Floating area struct (Xinerama display wide)
> - Column layout struct (Xinerama screen related)
> - Column
>
> Each View contains 1 floating area struct, and n (=number of
> screens) column layout structs. On column layout boundaries we
> will populate a move to the other screen.
>
> I think this is the most simple approach which only needs very
> small changes and scales well up to more displays (however, I
> only expect to support line-based Xinerama setups, matrix based
> will not be supported.
>
> Regards,

If it needs very small changes, can you please create a patch against 3.1 so i
can see how well it is with xinerama?? However i think it might not work in my
case, because I have one `wide' LCD monitor at 1280x768, and a normal CRT monitor
at 1024x768 ( it was before at 1280x1024 but It was eating the half of the left
coloumn :(, maybe it works with youit approch, instead of having 2 coloums with
width equal, maybe define somewhere left coloumn width ?? even hardcoded ATM.

Cheers,

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com