Re: [wmii] Xinerama ??

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 11:35:55 +0200

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:10:00PM -0400, Kris Maglione wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 03:38:37AM +0200, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> >I have started using wmi since 2 weeks so i'm still more/less newbie
> >regarding
> >wmii, I just want to know how xinerema does work with wmii, coz ATM i can
> >only
> >use it in floating mode, otherwize window will occupy both monitors and
> >since
> >one is 1280x768(left LCD) and one is 1280x1024(Right CRT), the window will
> >be
> >displayed wrong on the smaller screen.

You can use multihead setups during meantime until wmii-4 in October.

> Wmii currently has no Xinerama support. Work has just begun to add it, but
> it will only be added to wmii-4. In wmii-3, you can create 2 columns and
> manually size them to not cross the screen. Currently, in wmii-4, you can
> define a set of colrules to automatically create columns of the correct
> size. Xinerama support in wmii-4 will involve showing a single tag on each
> screen.

Showing different tags on a Xinerama multiscreen won't work,
because a client can only be visible in one position at a time.
If I have two 1600x1200 screens and a client tagged 1+2 it is
technically impossible to display it on both Xinerama screens at
the same time.

I think that Xinerama support needs the refactoring of Area. In
particular, we need to replace area with something like:

- Floating area struct (Xinerama display wide)
- Column layout struct (Xinerama screen related)
- Column

Each View contains 1 floating area struct, and n (=number of
screens) column layout structs. On column layout boundaries we
will populate a move to the other screen.

I think this is the most simple approach which only needs very
small changes and scales well up to more displays (however, I
only expect to support line-based Xinerama setups, matrix based
will not be supported.

Regards,