Re: [wmii] 10kloc project, wmii maintainer change

From: Armando Di Cianno <armando_AT_goodship.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:17:00 -0400

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 10:20:53AM -0700, Celti wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:03:47 -0400, Geoffrey Alan Washburn
> <geoffw_AT_cis.upenn.edu> wrote:
> > clearly you seem to have not been educated on the concept of
> > And this is exactly because you are ignorant. A common problem
> > with open source software developers. Try educating yourself; very
> > Anyway, your response was pretty much what I expected, so I'm not
> > going to bother debating further. Most open source developers are
> > completely clueless when it comes to choosing the right tools for the
> > job.
>
> Perhaps, instead of throwing a hissy-fit and stalking away in a huff,
> you should try educating him yourself? Throwing a tantrum doesn't
> strengthen your position any, and *that* is something a great number of
> developers - of all sorts - are clueless about.

*amen*

Personally, I would like to see Anselm re-word some of the sections so
that they 'sell' more effectively to people that may or may not care
about 10kloc. Selling the idea, the core, golden rules that Anselm
really means when he says "no more than 10k lines of code" is much more
important than feeling like a failure for having a project that is
10,001 lines of code.

Getting people excited about a simple idea is a good way to get them
to consider more advanced ideas; the Kolmogorov complexity theory is
really usefel stuff, but it has little to no bearing when someone is
really excited by a software project, but can't wrap their head around
the sheer mass of the code base.

However, don't get me wrong -- lines of code is not the be all, end all
marker of good code. And those "studies" about how much code a person
can keep in their head, probably has a range of approxiamtely 10,000 --
meaning, I'm going to guess, 99th percentile programmers can probably
hold 20,000, and Joe Newbie can probably hold about 10.

__armando