[OT] Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:55:40 +0200

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 01:27:30PM +0200, Stefan Tibus wrote:
> If you don't see the need and don't want to do it, ok. But the
> number of multiuser hosts depends on where you work. In an office
> you may have your own PC, but if you have different computers
> dedicated for special uses, they just have to be multiuser. Nobody
> can have his own PC everywhere... But you can have a network login
> on any PC with personalized user environments. Multiuser capability
> has in fact gotten more important over the last years with all those
> networked environments everywhere.

Well this is somewhat offtopic, but I believe that session
support in a window manager is the wrong place for your feature
request. Instead of having suspend(2) of the whole box, I'd like
to see having some kind of freeze all user-processes of the user
XY beginning with a specific parent process. I know that this is
technically not possible yet, but might be possible in the
future with some kernel improvements (at least in linux).
Actually this would be a more fine-grain suspend(2), because it
would allow to suspend a bunch of processes instead of
everything. If one binds freeze to logout, one could unfreeze
his processes on login. Suspend(2) won't matter, because it
would still work on a multi-user box.

However, I don't know the kernel details how suspend2 works and
I'm afraid about the 5MSLOC of the linux kernel... If someone
hires and pays me for implementing the above proposal, it might
be an option...

Regards,