Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_verizonbusiness.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 15:55:19 +0200

Denis Grelich wrote:
> I have to disagree completely. There should be no fixed layouts in the
> window manager, in any case. There were reasons this was dropped
> in earlier wmii versions.
Well, but what if someone wants them?

> Rather, the applications should provide for
> enough hints (and the wm should listen to them, of course, while
> placing them into their views) to dynamically create usable layouts.
> Fixed layouts are a totally wrong approach to this problem.
It is impossible for the application to provide those hints because
different people have different preferences. For example, I have
Thunderbird fully maximized in a single column. And when I create a
compose window, I want to open a second column with that compose window.

Perhaps others prefer a single column with two windows in it. Some of
those people want default layout, some want stacked layout.

I think what's needed is a program similar in spirit to kstart. One
would say "wmiistart $OPTIONS $APPLICATION" and the $OPTIONS would say
how to tag the application, and what the column layout should be and stuff.

And then one would want to have hooks in the wmiirc event loop that
allows one to do different things for different applications: open a new
view for them, open a new colum for them, re-use an existing column,
change the column layout, ...

Kai