Re: [wmii] wmii-4 is dead?

From: Yannick Delbecque <yannick.delbecque_AT_mail.mcgill.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:59:37 -0400

[2006-08-30 14:51, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard]
> > 5. add ability to create empty views
>
> This is already possible with wmii-4, although an empty can only exist
> while it is current.

Personnally, I got around this by modifying the view switching part of wmiirc
to automatically open a terminal when I switch to an empty view (i.e. the new
term window is tagged to add it to the empty view and then we switch to the
view.

I also think that automatic tagging is quite insufficent and do not fit that
well with the tag idea - it tends to turns tags into mere views instead
role-grouping of the programs, and in many case applications have more than
one kind of usage (for example web browsers can be used as documentation
readers, to search the web or to monitor changes to a web page project. I
don't want to do all these things in a browser tagged "www".) I dont think
that we use enough the fact that clients can be tagged with more than one
tag. Unique tags are completely equivalent to view names. Other usages of
tags (e.g to control placement in a view) would be usefull, but if nobody
really use them to do something else than naming a view, then we should stop
pretending we are using tags and talk of view or screen instead.

I would like a view to be a set of placement rules of tagged clients, with the
default rule corresponding to the present behavior. This would allow to
really use tags, but this is certainly not a good idea to do this for wmii 4.

Yannick D.