Re: [wmii] wmii-3.1 bug: libixp overload

From: Oliver Heins <olli_AT_sopos.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:37:35 +0200

"Suraj N. Kurapati" <skurapat_AT_ucsc.edu> writes:

> Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
>> Unfortunately, back porting these changes was not so simple as I
>> hoped. fs.c and libcext have changed too dramatically.
>>
>> I think I will just give up wmii-3.1 and start using hg tip. :-/
>
> Please excuse this useless monologue, but, I've spent all day trying
> to fix this and failed miserably.

Please don't. I followed your activities of the last days and was
really excited about them. It looked to me that their was a future for
wmii(-3), and I was wondering if you would start to maintain the
3.x-series as a branch for those of us who don't want to switch
immediately to wmii-4. Yesterday I tried switching to ruby-ixp when I
discovered that Mauricio Fernandez ported his ruby-wmii to it. I really
felt excited then. Unfortunately, wmiirc hanged after a very short
period. IIRC it said it was waiting for the IXP server. I can't find
anything about this in the logs, though.

However, I don't think this came from libixp overload. I was watching a
movie at this time. Perhaps it even is a problem with Mauricio's
ruby-wmii.

> And, hg tip is unusable for anything other than not exhibiting this
> bug (wmiir read / returns garbage and other files are not
> accessible). So I'm back to where I started.
>
> I was hoping for a happy ending, but this is reality. I pray that
> someone knowledgeable fixes this menace once in for all. Until then,
> I take leave from all this because my summer vacation is over...
> I've spent the last 15 days on wmii stuff.

You did a great job. Really. Please don't give up.

> /quit (for now ;)

I saw you finally managed to make a patch. That's great.

Many thanks for your work,
 olli

--
GnuPG-Key: http://www.sopos.org/pgp/olli.asc
GnuPG-Fingerprint: F27A BA8C 1CFB B905 65A8  2544 0F07 B675 9A00 D827