Re: [wmii] libixp compilation errors

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:44:33 +0200

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:37:05 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 05:13:30PM +0200, Stefan Tibus wrote:
> > just tried compiling a freshly downloaded libixp.
> > (besides the problem with those unnamed union/structs
> > on my Sun) there are the following errors:
> > [...]
> > "request.c", line 88: void function cannot return value
> > [...]
> > In fact, e.g.
> > void ixp_server_handle_fcall(IXPConn *c)
> > contains
> > return respond(req, Eduptag);
> > [...]
> Well this was Kris code, I suspect it was intended to be
> respond(req, Eduptag); return;
>
> I pushed a version which fixes that.

Hmm...I moved on trying to compile wmii-4 from 2006-08-26 and
discovered a lot more of these return constructions. Also the
Sun compiler doesn't like "nil" (I replaced them with "NULL")
and those anonymous unions/structs within other unions/structs
and some other things. I get a long list of warnings as well.

All this has not been the case with wmii-3 code. Now, well,
I don't know if you coders are just using some new features
of new C standards, however this code is quite unportable and
unusable for me :-(

Can (and how?) these be replaced by compatible old-C constructs?

Regards,
Stefan

P.S. I'm not going to use gcc here as the resulting binaries can
be several times slower...

--
GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl