Re: [wmii] libixp compilation errors

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:41:06 +0200

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 03:44:33PM +0200, Stefan Tibus wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:37:05 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 05:13:30PM +0200, Stefan Tibus wrote:
> > > just tried compiling a freshly downloaded libixp.
> > > (besides the problem with those unnamed union/structs
> > > on my Sun) there are the following errors:
> > > [...]
> > > "request.c", line 88: void function cannot return value
> > > [...]
> > > In fact, e.g.
> > > void ixp_server_handle_fcall(IXPConn *c)
> > > contains
> > > return respond(req, Eduptag);
> > > [...]
> > Well this was Kris code, I suspect it was intended to be
> > respond(req, Eduptag); return;
> >
> > I pushed a version which fixes that.
>
> Hmm...I moved on trying to compile wmii-4 from 2006-08-26 and
> discovered a lot more of these return constructions. Also the
> Sun compiler doesn't like "nil" (I replaced them with "NULL")
> and those anonymous unions/structs within other unions/structs
> and some other things. I get a long list of warnings as well.
>
> All this has not been the case with wmii-3 code. Now, well,
> I don't know if you coders are just using some new features
> of new C standards, however this code is quite unportable and
> unusable for me :-(
>
> Can (and how?) these be replaced by compatible old-C constructs?

Yes, please sync with hg tip (nil has been removed everywhere)
and recheck. Patches would be highly welcome, I don't work on
libixp/wmii during the weekend. I'm also offline because my DSL
provider has not established a new account for me yet.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe  ><><  http://suckless.org/arg/  ><><  GPG key: 0D73F361