Re: [wmii] patches for shared object libixp and Sun compiler

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:04:14 +0100

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:09:42 +1000 Chris Foster wrote:
> > BTW, on Linux there has to be added some "runtime library
> > search path" option as well, as it is now, I have to
> > set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib before starting up wmii.
>
> If you've added shared objects to a library path, you should run
> ldconfig to update ld.so.cache IIRC. That's a job for a package
> manager rather than the Makefile I guess?

Well... at least there are some people around suggesting the
specification of runtime search paths at compile-time:
http://www.blastwave.org/standards/build.html
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/ld-lib-path.html
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/_/ldpath.html
I know the articles are about LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but they
suggest the linker option instead of modifying e.g.
/var/ld/ld.conf on Solaris.

The point is, at compilation time you already know where
the library is, so you code that into the executable.
Things only get complicated if you move the library elsewhere
afterwards. Then you still may fix that with the ld config.
But the -R<path> option avoids having to edit that config
in the default case. So at least it's not bad. And e.g.
on a system where I don't have root access, I cannot change
the ld config, while I can specify any path I want at compile
time... If $PREFIX is within my home dir, it would work
just out of the box with the linker option.
This leads me to the conclusion that it is indeed a job for
the Makefile.

Regards,
Stefan