Re: [wmii] Re: quick thanks... for wmii

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:43:09 +0100

On 1/19/07, Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> So are you saying that vi doesn't suck because some versions have
> become so incredibly bloated and out of control that instead of using
> an external mountain of junk from the 70's, have internalized the
> mountain of junk and now it is part of the same executable as the text
> editor?

No, that's not what I'm saying. Vi implementations don't need to
internalize the mess that terminal (emulators) are, just the stuff
that the original vi (ab)used terminals for (such as cursor position).
Such stuff used to be implemented on top of a borken terminal, but it
doesn't have to be.
Like I said before, keeping track of where inserted text goes, what
text to replace, etc. is the task of the editor. Just like vi, ed does
this too, except more roughly, on the (rather arbitrary) line level.
Ed doesn't include "a mountain of junk" to keep track of where to
insert text (at the line level), and vi implementations don't (need
to) include a mountain of junk for that task either.

Gr. Sander.