Re: [wmii] Re: quick thanks... for wmii

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:51:57 +0100

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:40:59 +0100 Uriel wrote:
> The beauty of ed is that its design is so minimalistic and its
> interface so elegant, that it can adapt to a completely new
> environment without the need of any changes.
Isn't that contradictory? To adapt involves to change, doesn't it?
Otherwise it just accidentally fits in without the need to adapt.

-----

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:59:09 +0100 Uriel wrote:
> I have no clue about dead keys, never had any use for them anyway,
Maybe you shouldn't comment on something you don't have a clue about???
> but on Plan 9(and I think p9p) you certainly don't need them, you can
> enter all the german/french/spanish chars(and a few more) easily from
> an US keyboard layout, see keyboard(6) for details.
This is not a Plan 9/Unix/DOS/any_os problem, this is a keyboard
design problem. The idea behind dead keys is combining accents
with other characters without the need of a compose key and
without the need to add ten new keys...

> This is another wonderful Plan 9 feature that I miss every time I have
> to use some other idiotic system where I need to figure out how to
> change the damned keymap just to enter a few characters from another
> language, on Plan 9 they are all on your finger tips, from
> mathematical symbols to chess pieces(!), and including greek, latin
> cyrillic alphabets. Look around /lib/keyboard and have fun finding out
> how to type characters you didn't even know existed in Unicode.
(This composing thing is not unique to Plan 9 so it's not that
special.) But here it's not about rarely used symbols (as if I were
to type a mail in french) but about everyday letters, where you need
them often! If an OS doesn't support dead keys that's a serious
missing feature...

-----

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:56:51 +0100 Uriel wrote:
> fuck off and
> stop spamming.
...maybe you should start with that yourself...

...I couldn't resist ;-)

Stefan