[wmii] "Rows" of columns? (feature/behaviour suggestion)

From: Mark Gibbens <mark_AT_flet.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:51:31 +0000

Could wmii's window management model ever support "rows" as well as columns?

I often use a laptop with only 1024*768 screen resolution, and my
workflow tends to require me working between a browser and a couple of
xterms.

I really need close to full screen width for my browser, but
allocating full screen width for an xterm is a waste. Here's a
(hopefully clear) example of what I'm suggesting...

|+===================================================+|
|| : ||
|| : ||
|| web browser : ||
|| (with side panels open to right) : ||
|| : ||
|| : ||
|+---------------------------------------------------+|
|+==========================++=======================+|
|| |+=======================+|
|| xterm || ||
|| (running irssi) || stacked xterms ||
|| || ||

Despite ignorance of wmii's architecture, I can think of a few
immediate problems with implementing something like this. I guess
each row would, in effect, be a separate "workspace", or whatever the
correct terminology is for a screenfull of frames is. But I'd be
interested to know other people's responses...

Best wishes,
Mark.