Re: [wmii] "Rows" of columns? (feature/behaviour suggestion)

From: Yannick Delbecque <yannick.delbecque_AT_mail.mcgill.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:23:08 -0500

[07-02-12 18:45 -0500, Kris Maglione]
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:05:14PM +0100, Uriel wrote:
> >Did any of you read what I wrote? you don't need rows for any of this.
> >All you need is a resizable managed area.
> >
> >Only issue is that the size of the managed area is probably going to
> >be global across views, but you can't have everything.
>
> That's a cruddy solution to either of the problems. 1. It leaves the
> user managing windows again, instead of the window manager, and 2. It
> means that you have to resize the managed area every time you switch
> views. That's absolutely untenable. The only viable use for the resized
> managed area is for sticky apps and the like.

I feel the same way about this proposal. I would be happy with a row layout
completely analogous to the column layout. Would it be hard to add an extra flag
to a view to use the same information but to display clients in rows instead of
columns? At least navigation concepts wouln't change that way, and nothing would be
broken with this addition.

--
Yannick Delbecque - http://yannick.delbecque.org