Re: [wmii] "Rows" of columns? (feature/behaviour suggestion)

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:46:30 +0100

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:23:08AM -0500, Yannick Delbecque wrote:
> [07-02-12 18:45 -0500, Kris Maglione]
> > On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:05:14PM +0100, Uriel wrote:
> > >Did any of you read what I wrote? you don't need rows for any of this.
> > >All you need is a resizable managed area.
> > >
> > >Only issue is that the size of the managed area is probably going to
> > >be global across views, but you can't have everything.
> >
> > That's a cruddy solution to either of the problems. 1. It leaves the
> > user managing windows again, instead of the window manager, and 2. It
> > means that you have to resize the managed area every time you switch
> > views. That's absolutely untenable. The only viable use for the resized
> > managed area is for sticky apps and the like.
>
> I feel the same way about this proposal. I would be happy with a row layout
> completely analogous to the column layout. Would it be hard to add an extra flag
> to a view to use the same information but to display clients in rows instead of
> columns? At least navigation concepts wouln't change that way, and nothing would be
> broken with this addition.

I don't understand why people ask for such mixture-layouts (in
dwm we had the same discussion already). Actually, I think you
only need such mixture layouts, if your screen is too small. So,
the real solution for the problem in my eyes is: wether use a
floating setup, or buy a bigger screen.

Apart from that, I believe that windows in rows scale poorly
compared to windows in columns, because in my observation the
width of a window is of much more importance than its height.
And there's also a reason for this observation - it is text. In
western civilizations we usually read line-based (regardless if
from left-to-right or vice versa), but text expands into the
width. Hence you can easily handle more than 20 windows in a
column, but you can hardly handle more than 5 columns at all
(this makes windows nearly unusable).

So the only decent solution of window arrangement in a IDE-like
layout you ask for, is the ion- or wmi-10 way in my eyes.

Or you just adapt your usage patterns to column layout (which is
doable) and maybe you want to buy a better screen.

Regards,