Re: [wmii] "Rows" of columns? (feature/behaviour suggestion)

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_de.verizonbusiness.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:25:51 +0100

"Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> writes:

> I don't understand why people ask for such mixture-layouts (in
> dwm we had the same discussion already). Actually, I think you
> only need such mixture layouts, if your screen is too small. So,
> the real solution for the problem in my eyes is: wether use a
> floating setup, or buy a bigger screen.

I don't understand why you think of the layout as "mixture" any more
than the existing layouts are mixture.

wmii currently divides the screen into columns, each of which can be
in stacked, maximized or default mode.

It seems rather obvious to offer as alternative to divide the screen
into rows, each of which can be in stacked, maximized or default mode.

Well, one would have to rotate the window titles (and put them on the
left or right edge of a window) for a sensible implementation of
stacked mode for rows, so perhaps one would like to forego stacked
mode for rows. Or one takes a look at wmx and realizes that it looks
quite visually appealing to rotate window titles.

And I also fail to see in what way the navigation would be more
difficult when navigating rows as opposed to columns. Well, I use
vi-like keybindings where h/l navigate between columns and j/k between
the windows in a column. When the screen is divided into rows
instead, then one would like j/k to navigate between rows and h/l to
navigate between the windows in a row.

wmii could display some views in column layout (as it does now) and
others in row layout. There could even be a command to switch between
the two types of layouts.

Kai