Re: [wmii] "Rows" of columns? (feature/behaviour suggestion)

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_de.verizonbusiness.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:16:29 +0100

"Mark Gibbens" <mark_AT_flet.org> writes:

> On 14/02/07, Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_de.verizonbusiness.com> wrote:
>> Proposals: (1) Provide commands to navigate to the next/previous
>> rectangular region. (2) Conceptually line up the regions from left to
>> right (regardless of their actual orientation on screen) and define
>> that moving right from a rightmost column will move to the next region
>> in sequence.
>
> I might be misunderstanding you, but I'm not sure this is necessary.
> These "rectangular regions" ('tag views'?) are just displays of
> windows sharing the same tag? So the navigation commands already
> exist?

Hm. Let's see.

Let there be an X server with two heads using Xinerama, let
rectangular region R1 be the one head, and R2 be the other head. Let
there be three tags T1, T2, T3.

Let R1 show the windows tagged T1, let R2. Let the focus be on a
window on the first head, i.e. in R1.

Now the operation "show tag T3" should mean to remove all T1 windows
from R1 and to add all T3 windows to R1.

But "show tag T2" would mean to move the focus to R2.

I'm sorry that I can't remember the wmii terms for this.

You're right, it would suffice to show different tags. But it is
somewhat counter-intuitive that the same operation has so different
behaviors depending on the argument given.

> If you're in a right-most column and move a window to the right, that
> should create a new column in the current region/'tag view'/row - not
> move into a different one?

I didn't mean move a window to the right, I meant move the focus to
the right. Hm... "echo -n select next | wmiir write /view/ctl"?

Kai