Re: [wmii] 9ubuntu?

From: Mathieu L. <lejatorn_AT_smgl.homelinux.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:41:52 +0100

Hi,

I'm not sure why you picked ubuntu but you might just want to start
from a minimalistic source based distro like sourcemage.
I dunno about Gentoo since I've never tried it, but the default install
on sourcemage is not cluttered with gazillions of packages, it just
leaves you with basically the basesystem and the text editor of your
choice.

Since it's source based, you of course get gcc and all the headers and
libs are installed with their respective program (something I hate in
binary distros is having to track all the *-dev packages).

And obviously we have packages for wmii, dwm and plan9ports (although
not always totally up to date since I lack of time to maintain them at
the moment) so you just have to install those and that will be your
working environment from the start.

Otoh, we surely don't have an as user-friendly installer as ubuntu has.

Cheers,
Mathieu.

--
GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net: