Re: [wmii] 9ubuntu?

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_verizonbusiness.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:51:58 +0100

I would like to suggest going for a plain-X11 variant. That would
gain a larger user community than the wmii/dwm approach: ctwm, wmaker,
blackbox, fluxbox, fvwm, wm2, wmx, ... users could join in on the fun.

Then you'd get what you want by just adding the wmii and/or dwm
package(s).

Not sure what to do about the live CD, though.

WDYT?

Kai

"Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> during last week I evaluated Windows Vista during my freetime -
> I'm not surprised... The whole system is too slow for me and
> contains only few innovations I consider useful (well most of
> them are also part of OS X, though I'm not uptodate with OS X).
>
> To a long-year X/wmii/dwm user the most annoying part in Windows
> Vista is the inefficient cut'n'paste handling and the manual
> window organization (even the mouse-driven Snarfing of Plan 9 is
> faster than this braindamaged and inconsistent cut'n'paste
> handling of Windows).
>
> The trip with Windows Vista lead to a reinstallation of ubuntu
> on my notebook (because I had to re-partition my disk), but the
> ubuntu installation also was very disappointing, because of
> this retarded Gnome environment (XFCE, KDE and Gnome altogether
> are pretty similiar to the Vista Desktop)...
>
> With each ubuntu/debian installation I have to install dozens
> of packages to setup my system as I like it to be, this sucks.
> I can't even use a live cd to run my environment on any computer
> - the stuff by Michael Prokop called grml (www.grml.org)
> contains too much stuff I don't regularly use - although it
> comes very near to what I'd like to have.
>
> I also notice that there is no real Linux distribution with the
> flavor 'designed for C hackers and 9 lovers' out of the box
> (grml closes the gap for sys admins). So I got the idea that I'd
> like to see a new ubuntu flavor called 9ubuntu for '9 lovers and
> C hacker ubuntu' which comes packed with dwm/wmii and all
> necessary tools for developing C code (*-dev, vim, gcc,
> make, plan9ports,...) instead of those clunky desktop
> environments.
>
> What do people think about this idea? Even if this might not
> be officially supported by the ubuntu community, I'd like to see
> something like this, because I need it. Is there anyone
> interested to initiate such a project?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Anselm R. Garbe >< http://www.suckless.org/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361

Verizon Deutschland GmbH - Sebrathweg 20, 44149 Dortmund, Germany - Amtsgericht Dortmund, HRB 14952 - Geschäftsführer: Donald Badoux - Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Mark Kearns