Re: [wmii] 9ubuntu?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:28:27 +0100

Hi Benoit,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 01:19:42PM +0100, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 13:05 +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 12:41:52PM +0100, Mathieu L. wrote:
> > > I'm not sure why you picked ubuntu but you might just want to start
> > > from a minimalistic source based distro like sourcemage.
> >
> > I picked ubuntu for several reasons:
> > - it feels like debian
> > - it has the best hardware support out of the box (because it
> > comes packed with restricted aka non-free packages by default)
> > - it has a big user-/developer base which does most of the ugly job
> > (reporting bugs, updating packages)
> > - it takes no user interaction to boot into a usable system
> > - it takes several mouse clicks to install a fresh system
> >
> > For me the more important thing is that each ubuntu flavor is a
> > livecd which is nearly the same as the system you install onto
> > the harddisk, hence I can even use the system during install
> > already, or install it if I got a new harddisk or if there is
> > some sparetime to do it...
> >
> > And I think the effort to master a special ubuntu flavor is
> > rather minimal, because one only needs to change those parts
> > which are interesting for us (basically the packages which come
> > packed by default).
> >
> > What is missing at the moment are:
> >
> > - officially supported Debian/Ubuntu packages for plan9port
> > (for simplicitie's sake I vote for a single big package)
> > - dwm-desktop package
> > - wmii-desktop package
> > - plan9port-desktop package (maybe with 9wm)
> >
> > So the work on 9ubuntu would be to create those packages and
> > maintaining a different mastering script.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> Why not using something like arch linux ? It provides tools to create
> your own install cd (archboot &) or livecd if you need. Hardware is
> detected. Pacman is also in my mind a little superior to apt and you can
> have minimal install with just needed stuff. Plus, doing packages is
> very easy, you have to just use bash and customize one PKGBUILD to
> create packages.
>
> ANother good point for arch linux is that it use rc scripts like BSD
> systems to init to the system. No more need of systemv5...
>
> More info here :
> http://www.archlinux.org

I'm open to the base system, but I want a system which can be
used and installed from the livecd out of the box. Afaik last
time I checked arch it came with two kinds of media (install and
live separated from each other). I actually don't care so much
about the base system - it has to be stable, usable and
updatable on its own, with nearly no coupling with the mastering
of our flavor.

> Oh and why not take a BSD ?

Lack of hardware support - note I'm no friend of closed-source
drivers, but it is a pain to get ATI fglrx driver to work in
BSD just as an example.

Regards,