Re: [wmii] 9ubuntu?

From: Benoit Chesneau <benoitc_AT_archlinuxfr.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:19:42 +0100

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 13:05 +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 12:41:52PM +0100, Mathieu L. wrote:
> > I'm not sure why you picked ubuntu but you might just want to start
> > from a minimalistic source based distro like sourcemage.
>
> I picked ubuntu for several reasons:
> - it feels like debian
> - it has the best hardware support out of the box (because it
> comes packed with restricted aka non-free packages by default)
> - it has a big user-/developer base which does most of the ugly job
> (reporting bugs, updating packages)
> - it takes no user interaction to boot into a usable system
> - it takes several mouse clicks to install a fresh system
>
> For me the more important thing is that each ubuntu flavor is a
> livecd which is nearly the same as the system you install onto
> the harddisk, hence I can even use the system during install
> already, or install it if I got a new harddisk or if there is
> some sparetime to do it...
>
> And I think the effort to master a special ubuntu flavor is
> rather minimal, because one only needs to change those parts
> which are interesting for us (basically the packages which come
> packed by default).
>
> What is missing at the moment are:
>
> - officially supported Debian/Ubuntu packages for plan9port
> (for simplicitie's sake I vote for a single big package)
> - dwm-desktop package
> - wmii-desktop package
> - plan9port-desktop package (maybe with 9wm)
>
> So the work on 9ubuntu would be to create those packages and
> maintaining a different mastering script.
>
> Regards,

Why not using something like arch linux ? It provides tools to create
your own install cd (archboot &) or livecd if you need. Hardware is
detected. Pacman is also in my mind a little superior to apt and you can
have minimal install with just needed stuff. Plus, doing packages is
very easy, you have to just use bash and customize one PKGBUILD to
create packages.

ANother good point for arch linux is that it use rc scripts like BSD
systems to init to the system. No more need of systemv5...

More info here :
http://www.archlinux.org

Oh and why not take a BSD ?

- benoît

--
Arch Linux FR, website for french speaking user of Arch Linux.
http://www.archlinuxfr.org