Re: [wmii] wmiirc snippet: tag comments

From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jeremy_AT_jeremyms.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:53:26 -0400

Boo_boo <kaitarou_AT_gmail.com> writes:

>> So, if you have the tags "code, gimp, net, work", pressing MOD+1 accesses
>> "code", MOD+2 accesses "gimp" etc.
>>
>> And it should be easy to keep track of if the number of tags is small. I
>> can see that net is the third, gimp is the fourth... And if "code" goes
>> away, "gimp" becomes 1. No hardcoding tags.

> it's nice and clean solution, but it seems somewhat inconvenient for me -- i
> can't instantly figure out that "work" tag is fourth, i have to count from one
> to four to see that. it's simple, though. but when there are seven tags...

With wmii-4, you can easily enough have it display e.g.

1 work | 2 web | 3 irc

etc., i.e. in the statusbar display the view names by prefixing them
with their index, without actually having to use something ugly as the
actual view name.

With wmii-3, this can't be done so easily.

I find an even better solution is to use the first letter of the tag
name as part of the shortcut for switching to it, e.g.

mod4-mod1-letter.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard