[wmii] problem with 3.6 installation under MacOSX

From: Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:34:34 +0100

hi there,

first time mail to this list: I noted today that the wmii
package unfortenuately is orphaned in `macports', the
package management system of MacOS X.

for now, I tried a source install and ran into problems. I
got `dmenu' and libixp-0.4 installed. but

make configure
make

for `wmii' yielded:

=================CUT====================
MAKE all cmd/
CC cmd/util.o
CC cmd/wmii9menu.o
LD cmd/wmii9menu.O
FILTER cmd/wmii9rc.sh
FILTER cmd/wmiiloop.sh
CC cmd/wmiir.o
LD cmd/wmiir.O
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [wmiir.O] Error 1
make: *** [dall] Error 2
=================CUT====================

does somebody have a hint how to fix this? mail archive
seems not to include this problem.

many thanks,

joerg

PS: if there's somebody out there able to take over
maintance of the macports package (I'm not, I'm afraid...)
that would be great of course. it should be similar to the
FreeBSD ports system of which it derives. it would be nice
to see the package maintained the more so as tuomo valkonen,
the `ion3' author, is on the warpath again and has managed
to get ion3 kicked out of several repositories, FreeBSD
ports and macports among them. so people will start looking
for alternatives, as I am doing right now. and as I learned
only recently, MacOS X installation base is much larger
(factor five or so?) than all the rest (Unixes + Linuxes)
combined. and quite some people use these machines with
fullscreen X11, too.