Re: [wmii] problem with 3.6 installation under MacOSX

From: Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:15:15 +0100

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 11:20:17AM +0100, David wrote:
> Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de> writes:
> > /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.o
> [...]
> > does somebody have a hint how to fix this? mail archive
> > seems not to include this problem.
>
> Static linking ist not supported in Mac OS X. In config.mk, comment out
> the STATIC line and put "-liconv" into LIBICONV.
>
> -David

yes. thanks. I get it compiled now.

I only used sporadically wmii-3.1 (the last variant
available from `macports') and it seems the organization is
changed somewhat (wmii now the window manager itself, not
only the start up script, different config files?).

now, when starting X, only the xterm started prior to wmii
pops up maximized including the wmii "decoration" at the top
but without any further information in the tile bar of the
or the "task" bar (or whatever it's named) at the bottom.

mod1+return does *not* open new xterm. only mod1+a shows the
"exec, quit, welcome" etc. entries in the menu, which I can
select (e.g. quit) but which perform no action.

so wmii seems to run but seems semi-conscious at best :-).

further I find an empty directory .wmii-3.5 (!? I thought
this is version 3.6) in my home dir. the default config
files in PREFIX/etc seem to be all in place.

is `dmenu' of importance at this stage? (I only have
dmenu3.2 installed).

what's a poor (actually new) user to do?

joerg