Re: [wmii] Several Questions

From: Kris Maglione <jg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:00:27 -0500

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 12:45:13PM +0900, sqweek wrote:
>> d) If I start any of the OpenOffice 2.3 applications by using the
>> Mod-p mechanism it always comes up in dynamic layout mode. Why?
>
> This is because of OO's [mis]behaviour. It is doing something like
>requesting a fixed geometry or not honouring resize requests or
>somesuch, I'm not sure of the details.

Not quite, though I'm not one to defend OOo (please don't use
it). It's because it opens a splash window, which transferred
the focus to the floating layer. This has been the case with all
apps which open splash windows for some time. It's fixed in the
latest snap, though. Splash windows don't get focus when they
open, anymore. And if they're given focus, it transfers back to
the managed layer when they close, now (whether there are
windows on the floating layer or not). The latter also applies
to dialogs so when, say, the GIMP opens a file selection dialog, you
don't wind up opening your image in the floating layer.

--
Kris Maglione
A budget is saving quarters in a mason jar for