Re: [wmii] [ANN] New snap: wmii+ixp-20080123

From: Frank Blendinger <fb_AT_intoxicatedmind.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:24:23 +0100

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:48:17PM -0500, Kris Maglione wrote:
> Drag&Drop support (when you drag over a bar, you get that view)

Does not work for my, but I guess that is due to me using ruby-wmii and
it has to be support by the script first, right?

> Strut support. This means that you can run panels/pagers
> and have wmii arrange the screen around them.
> For those of you who need system trays, this should help.

This sounds nice. I tried to use dzen2 with wmii some time ago I never
managed to keep the dzen bar on top of the others windows an visible on
all views.

Any hints on how to use this new feature? Is there now some way to tell
wmii "dont use region (0,0)-(1680,16) for the windows" so that this
space is left for a bar? If so, how?

> Ability to move windows between the managed/floating
> layer with the mouse. Thus, we have these chords for grabbox
> moves:
> 1-2: (Column only) Toggle between frame movement
> and column creation.

Works, but I don't think I will ever use this, it just takes ages to
mouve the mouse to that tiny grabbox and do this click combo, when you
can just press MOD+Space.

> 1-3: Toggle the window between the managed and
> floating layers (with some ideosyncracies for the time
> being).

I don't really get what this is supposed to do. I tried click
left+middle button on the box and sometimes I could drag the window to a
new column, but it seems to be really awkward to use. I'll stick to the
default keybindings for this, they are fast and work flawlessly.

Btw. it really miss a feature to resize windows with the keyboard. I was
told this was (no more) possible because wmiir does not have such a
command. Any chance that this will be implemented at some point of time?

Another thing about the new snapshots: Why is POSIXLY_CORRECT set in
startwmiirc? This breaks launching bash. I just commented that line out
and I saw no problems with that. Why was it put in anyway?

Greetings,
Frank

--
Frank Blendinger | fb(at)intoxicatedmind.net | GPG: 0x0BF2FE7A
Fingerprint: BB64 F2B8 DFD8 BF90 0F2E 892B 72CF 7A41 0BF2 FE7A