Re: [wmii] [ANN] New snap: wmii+ixp-20080123

From: Kris Maglione <jg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:09:57 -0500

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 02:24:23PM +0100, Frank Blendinger wrote:
>Does not work for my, but I guess that is due to me using ruby-wmii and
>it has to be support by the script first, right?

Indeed. wmii just sends LeftBarDND events. Your script needs to
do something with them. wmii knows nothing of what bar
corresponds to what view.

>This sounds nice. I tried to use dzen2 with wmii some time ago I never
>managed to keep the dzen bar on top of the others windows an visible on
>all views.

I'm not a fan of dzen, and I don't know if it supports struts.

>Any hints on how to use this new feature? Is there now some way to tell
>wmii "dont use region (0,0)-(1680,16) for the windows" so that this
>space is left for a bar? If so, how?

A given window needs to specify it. wihack could do something,
but I'd prefer to limit its functionality. I'll probably provide
a means to do it via the fs in the future.

>Works, but I don't think I will ever use this, it just takes ages to
>mouve the mouse to that tiny grabbox and do this click combo, when you
>can just press MOD+Space.

Perhaps, but it's always bothered me that it's not impossible.
Plus, I tend to hate reaching for the keyboard as much as
reaching for the mouse.

>Btw. it really miss a feature to resize windows with the keyboard. I was
>told this was (no more) possible because wmiir does not have such a
>command. Any chance that this will be implemented at some point of time?

It has nothing to do with wmiir, and, you're right, it's not
possible at the moment (although you can ask an external app to
do it for you on floating windows). I just haven't decided on
the semantics yet.

>Another thing about the new snapshots: Why is POSIXLY_CORRECT set in
>startwmiirc? This breaks launching bash. I just commented that line out
>and I saw no problems with that. Why was it put in anyway?

It doesn't break bash. And it's set that way because wmiirc uses
the POSIX userland tools, and the GNU variants do not behave the
same as those on other systems.

--
Kris Maglione
Machines that have broken down will work perfectly