Re: [wmii] [ANN] New snap: wmii+ixp-20080123

From: Chris King <colanderman_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:30:22 -0500

First let me say this is a superb release that hits a lot of things on
my wmii wish list. Now for the bugs :)

On 1/23/08, Kris Maglione <jg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> Drag&Drop support (when you drag over a bar, you get that view)

Beautiful! One nitpick though... dragging over the status menu
creates a new view called "status".

> Strut support. This means that you can run panels/pagers
> and have wmii arrange the screen around them.
> For those of you who need system trays, this
> should help. (I'm also told that some languages
> are so complex that they need Pango to render
> them, and, so, an external task bar. wmii will
> *never* use Pango).

Also beautiful! However I have noticed the following things when
working with Rox:

* The Rox panel only shows up in one view (unless you manually send it
to others). Is there a way to tell wmii to make it "sticky" (i.e.
place it in all views)?

* The "popup" mode of the panel doesn't work (where it reserves only a
few pixels and pops up above other windows when the mouse moves over
it). wmii seems to place it above managed windows and below floating
windows regardless of what mouse actions are performed (although
keyboard shortcuts can bring it to the front). My guess is this is
something that is not easy to make work with the wmii model.

* Not related to struts, but new rox windows seem to all start in
whichever view already has a rox window open. I'm guessing this is a
side-effect of some other new feature.

> Ability to move windows between the managed/floating
> layer with the mouse. Thus, we have these
> chords for grabbox moves:
> 1-2: (Column only) Toggle between frame movement
> and column creation.
> 1-3: Toggle the window between the managed and
> floating layers (with some
> ideosyncracies for the time being).

I've found two bugs here:

* The chords don't work when starting from floating mode.
* The following sequence results in either a disappeared window, or a crash:
  Managed window -> 1-3 -> 1-3 -> 1-2

Last but not least, I can't figure out how to get custom keybindings
(Action-overridekeys doesn't seem to work anymore), and running the
rc.wmii action (to load changes) both messes up windows and loses all
keybindings.

- Chris