Re: [wmii] [ANN] New snap: wmii+ixp-20080123

From: Kris Maglione <jg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:13:57 -0500

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:30:22AM -0500, Chris King wrote:
>On 1/23/08, Kris Maglione <jg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
>> Drag&Drop support (when you drag over a bar, you get that view)
>
>Beautiful! One nitpick though... dragging over the status menu
>creates a new view called "status".

It shouldn't. That generates a RightBarDND event, which wmiirc
and rc.wmii ignore.

>* The Rox panel only shows up in one view (unless you manually send it
>to others). Is there a way to tell wmii to make it "sticky" (i.e.
>place it in all views)?

When regex tags are supported (soon), it will be possible.

>* The "popup" mode of the panel doesn't work (where it reserves only a
>few pixels and pops up above other windows when the mouse moves over
>it). wmii seems to place it above managed windows and below floating
>windows regardless of what mouse actions are performed (although
>keyboard shortcuts can bring it to the front). My guess is this is
>something that is not easy to make work with the wmii model.

It should stay in the front of non-dock-type windows. That, I
did test.

>* Not related to struts, but new rox windows seem to all start in
>whichever view already has a rox window open. I'm guessing this is a
>side-effect of some other new feature.

They must specify a window group. I got tired of opening apps
only to have new windows pop up on whatever view I'm working on.
The rox command must tell a central process to launch a new
window, and use the same group. I'll think about accommodating
this with tag rules.

>* The chords don't work when starting from floating mode.

They work for me...

>* The following sequence results in either a disappeared window, or a crash:
> Managed window -> 1-3 -> 1-3 -> 1-2

I'll look into it.

>Last but not least, I can't figure out how to get custom keybindings
>(Action-overridekeys doesn't seem to work anymore), and running the
>rc.wmii action (to load changes) both messes up windows and loses all
>keybindings.

It's not necessary anymore. Just define the functions. The only
issue is that you can't unbind keys very easily.

--
Kris Maglione
If you don't say it, they can't repeat it.