Re: [wmii] XWindows default fonts

From: Leslie Viljoen <leslieviljoen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:25:05 +0200

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Suraj N. Kurapati <snk_AT_gna.org> wrote:
> Leslie Viljoen wrote:
> > I'd like to change is the big ugly font that all the XWindows
> > menus use. the same font used in the login screen's session
> > chooser menu
>
> Is the login screen produced by gdm (uses GTK+) or kdm (uses Qt) or
> xdm (uses X)?

I assume GDM, since that is the command that starts Xwindows.
I am using Ubuntu 7.10.

> > Firefox uses it in its menus and tabs.
>
> Firefox does not use X directly; it uses GTK+ instead.
>
> Make a file called .gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory with the
> following content:
>
> gtk-font-name = "Sans 11"
>
> Change the font value accordingly.

I did exactly this, but it didn't change anything.

> > Anyway, how do I change it (or at least make it smaller)?
>
> Make a file called .Xdefaults in your home directory with the
> following content:
>
> ! see "font5" in /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm
> *font: -*-terminus-*-r-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*

I did that too: no change.

> > I have been searching for "XWindows default fonts" in google for
> > hours.
>
> Try "xdefaults".

Ok, I will.
Strangely, it seems like fonts are all magnified in wmii. If I make
the gnome-term's
font smaller in its menus, the text is really tiny when I log back into gnome.