Re: [wmii] getting started (confused)

From: sqweek <sqweek_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 02:49:56 +0900

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:42 AM, David Morris <lists_AT_morris-clan.net> wrote:
> 1. wmiirc and rc.wmii
> This has me the most perplexed....why two configuration
> files with overlapping functionality? Are they both used,
> or only one? If only one, how is the correct config file
> chosen.

 rc.wmii is the preferred config, but since it is written in rc and
depends on plan 9 tools, wmiirc (written in sh and depends on unix
tools) is also provided.
 Only one is used. the magic to select the right one happens in
startwmiirc, which runs wmii9rc to look for an installation of plan 9
tools and runs rc.wmii if found, otherwise wmiirc. However, rc.wmii
needs plan 9's "read", which I'm pretty sure is not included in any
released version of 9base (9base is not well maintained, I recommend
plan9port). In this situation, rc.wmii bails and runs wmiirc instead.
You should also get a message to that effect, if you have xmessage
installed.

> 2. How do I set a color scheme?
> I put the following lines in my rc.wmii.local file:
>
> wmiifocuscol=`{echo '#ffffff #153F1F #2A7F3F'}
> wmiinormcol =`{echo '#222222 #5FBF77 #2A7F3F'}
> wmiibackground='#333333'

 Odd way of doing it. Why not follow the examples in themes?

> 3. How can I change window size with keyboard shortcut keys?
> For my use, this is a vital feature of the window manager I
> use.

 Not currently possible.

> 4. How can I set the layout for one full-width window at the
> bottom of the screen and multiple columns above it (usually
> two)?

 Use the floating layer.

> 5. How can I pull a window from a different view to the
> current view with a shortcut key, then send it back with the
> same key (or hide it entirely as an alternative)?

 You need to keep track of the window's ID, and then use something to
the effect of:

curtag=`{wmiir read /ctl |sed -n 's/^view //p'}
wmiir xwrite /client/$CLIENTID/tags +$curtag

 Or -$curtag to remove it from the current tag. Check /tag/sel/index
to work out if the client is on the current tag or not.

> 6. Is it possible to move the title bar to the left side of
> windows and have stacking mode move left-right instead of
> up-down?

 Nope.
-sqweek