Re: [wmii] Switch to previous window or view?

From: David Morris <lists_AT_morris-clan.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:08:33 -0700

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 02:24:21PM -0800, Aaron Grattafiori wrote:
> David Morris wrote:
>> I'm trying to setup some key bindings to move to:
>>
>> 1) switch to the previous selected view
>> 2) switch to the previous selected window in the current
>> view only
>> 3) switch to the previous selected window in any view
>>
>> I think I've finally figured out how to accomplish all of
>> this by creating a daemon which monitors 'wmiir read
>> /events'...but it sounds a bit cumbersome. Is there
>> built-in functionality that can do this?
>>
>> --David
>>

> David,
>
> I added something to my wmiirc for this but...it broke when moving to 3.6.
>
> I'm not sure if your a fan of python but.. I've been using wmii for just
> over a year now with the standard wmiirc bash interface.
> I recently switched to using python-wmii.
> http://downgra.de/articles/python-wmii/
>
> Among other improvements, It maintains a history of views that you can
> cycle through with MODKEY-minus and MODKEY-plus.
> This is slightly more bloaty (because its using python) but I find
> extending and modifying my interaction with wmii MUCH easier and
> enjoyable.

I'll have to look into that...Python was already the tool
I'd use for the features.

> I recommend python-wmii to any wmii user with a small
> amount of python experience. Much thanks to Rico Schiekel
> for his work.

I do my own personal development work exclusively in python.
So, I suppose you could say I have at least a small amount
of python experience. ;)

I've even considered writing my own window manager in Python
(did I mention I can sympathize VERY well with Kris'
statement of "insane and idealistic"? ;). I just keep
getting distracted from the task every time I try and sit
down to figure out the XLib library.

--David