Re: [wmii] Enviroment

From: sqweek <sqweek_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:28:44 +0900

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 2:09 AM, Georg Göri <goegea04_AT_htl-kaindorf.ac.at> wrote:
> Kris Maglione schrieb:
>
> > You'll have to be more specific. What happens to bash? What else has
> > problems?
> >
> I think its a bash problem, I am using gentoo and I am having bugs
> while emerge runs.
> The error
> "/usr/lib64/portage/bin/filter-bash-environment.py: Argument list too long

 Heh. This is a kernel limitation. When a new process is spawned the
kernel places its environment and arguments together in memory, but
there's a limit to their combined size. In this case, your environment
has become large enough that there's apparently no space left for even
the simplest of arguments.
 The limit has been transcended in recent versions of the linux kernel
afaik, not sure how BSD fares in this area.
-sqweek