[wmii] [ANN] Major changes.

From: Kris Maglione <jg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:15:04 -0400

Hi all,

I'd like to announce some major changes.

To begin with, I've rewritten wmii in Java. I was trying for
C++, but it just wasn't working out. It started to look too much
like wmi. The result is that you'll now need gcj or some
reasonable jdk to compile it. Also, I'm switching to the Apache
license, so we can become an official Apache project, which
seems reasonable, given the switch to Java. I've also moved
stylistically more towards wmi, though I've kept the 9p
filesystem interface (via jstyx). The main downside is that,
since JRE startup time is so slow, even with gcj, you'll not be
able to use a shell script, since wmiir becomes unusable.
Therefore, wmiirc is now written in Groovy, the Java-based
scripting language (and also a brand of coconut... hm.).

Also, I'm moving this list to usenet. We'll be at alt.wmii until
I can get a node on comp. I think that we fit in with the
anarchist, lunatic, and terrorist crowd, anyway. In the same
vein, our IRC channel will be moving back to Freenode. These
changes should coalesce sometime in the week.

The new sources are available at the Apache Incubator, for now:
http://tinyurl.com/2s4x6q

Thanks for your patience through this transition,

--
Kris Maglione
The more boring and out-of-date the magazines in the