Re: [wmii] adjusting menu fonts in firefox under wmii

From: Brandon Williams <brandon.williams_AT_microvu.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:57:23 -0700

Kris Maglione wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:05:36AM -0400, Bill Puschmann wrote:
>> It's been a while, but I remember using gtkchtheme in the past for
>> stuff like this. Run it once, choose a theme and it creates all the
>> gnome-ish theme configs for you. Firefox then picks up those values.
>> The best part - no daemons and you can install different themes if
>> that's your thing.
>
> Right, that works if you just want to use theme fonts. The problem
> comes when you use gnome font dialogs or the like. They seem to
> require daemons. I suppose that one could write a GTK theme file, but
> it's probably more trouble than it's worth. Gnome also seems to
> require daemons for the likes of mouse cursors (which only appear for
> GTK+ apps...). Hm. It's a mess.
>
> Firefox, which is the only GTK-ish app that I use, doesn't care much,
> though, as long as you don't use the `native' theme. It draws its own
> menus, and uses whatever fonts its theme specifies. (Incidentally, you
> should all try out Vimperator.)

Firefox is strange in the fact that you can change the gtk theme (I use
gtk-theme-switch2) but if you don't have a gnome/xfce daemon running it
picks... whatever font it picks. I found a way to change the fonts by
editing the userChrome.css file where you can set almost any setting to
the firefox gui. This is located in (varies from distro to distro, I'm
sure you know where your firefox directory is) ~/(your firefox
dir)/********.default/chrome/userChrome.css . You will probably need to
create the userChrome.css file. Here's an example of what you should
put in that userChrome.css file if you'd like to set the gui's fonts:

menubar, menubutton, menulist, menu, menuitem, textbox, toolbar, tab,
tree, tooltip
{
    font-family: verdana, helvetica !important;
    font-size: 10px !important;
}

Restart firefox, that's all it needs.