Re: [wmii] Problem starting wmii on openbsd 4.4

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:33:14 -0500

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 01:58:40PM +0100, Peter Voigt wrote:
>If you change to the tty, which runs startx, you see a
>lot of messages about the Xserver. It is not easy to
>find the question about tset, if ever. Because you even
>do not know, that you must change the tty, in order to
>answer a question of .profile.

Ok, I've fixed this by spawning with /dev/null on stdin (which I
should have done before. wmii.rc and wmii.sh do it, anyway).
Such prompting seems rather silly, anyway.

>What are the causes to use login-shells in spawn_command?
>
>Using a standard-shell (whithout "-" in "-s%") works
>well for me.

Well, I didn't spawn a login shell originally, but added it
after complaints from users that their environment variables
weren't being set. It seems that most users use login managers,
and most login managers don't spawn login shells.

Oddly enough, entranced seems to be the only one that does so,
but does so in a broken, system-specific way which they seem to
have no desire to change (i.e., they use the -l flag, and also
happen to set environ to null), so please don't use it.

--
Kris Maglione
A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program