Re: [wmii] java apps stop receiving keyboard events

From: Suraj Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:44:55 -0800

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 09:47:20PM -0800, Suraj Kurapati wrote:
>>
>> I noticed that this occurs whenever these apps open a modal window (like a
>> "File Open" dialog or "File Save" dialog). The modal window automatically
>> appears in the floating layer. Once I dismiss the modal window, the focus
>> returns to the main java app (which is in the managed layer) and the app
>> no
>> longer responds to keystrokes. The app is not frozen -- I can still use
>> the mouse to click on buttons/menus.
>
> Strange. It works for me. Which apps and which specific dialogs?

The app is jEdit <http://jedit.org> version 4.3pre16. The dialogs are
the "File Open" (Control-O) and incremental search bar
(Control-comma).

I think I may have narrowed down the problem this morning. I assume
that wmii reads keystrokes first from X.org and checks for the various
keybindings. If it doesn't find any, it passes them to the currently
focused client.

If my assumption is correct, then maybe my MODKEY (Control-Alt) is
causing wmii to enter a state where it just keeps consuming keystrokes
while trying to reach the end of a keybinding. Therefore no more
keystrokes are sent to the underlying application (jEdit in this
case).

My keybindings are thus:

>> puts fs.keys.read
Mod1-Control-w,6