Re: [wmii] compilation wmii / ubuntu package

From: Suraj Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:54:56 -0800

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 9:54 AM, nicolas romain lac
<nicolas.romain.lac_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I use wmii version 3.6. This version is provided by the package wmii
> 3.6+debian-4 (ubuntu intrepid).
>
> This version is getting old, and I would like to compile the latest version.

Good idea. Version 3.6 is ancient, and wmii @ hg tip is quite stable.
 I watch this <http://code.suckless.org/hg/wmii/atom-log> RSS feed to
decide when to hg pull and install. I always use hg tip (or near it)
of wmii.

> I don't want to run "make install", because I only to uses packages.

You can install wmii, libixp, and dmenu all in my home directory by
setting the PREFIX variable in the config.mk file in each of the
respective source code directories.

For instance, because I keep locally installed apps in ~/app/, I set
these values in my hg clones of suckless.org projects:

> grep '^PREFIX' */config.mk
dmenu/config.mk:PREFIX = $(HOME)/app/wmii
libixp/config.mk:PREFIX = $(HOME)/app/wmii
wmii/config.mk:PREFIX = $(HOME)/app/wmii

As you have discovered, libixp must be "make install"-ed before wmii.
But dmenu can be "make install" at any time.

> So my question is how to compile the latest version, and even better, can
> somebody give a precompiled version for ubuntu intreprid.

See this tutorial for building Ubuntu packages:

http://women.debian.org/wiki/English/BuildingTutorial

Cheers.