Re: [wmii] focus switch - race condition?

From: Suraj Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:52:00 -0800

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> wmii doesn't change the focus, it tells the window to take the focus and
> updates the colors when it does so.

In that case, I may have more insight into the problem now. Today I
observed a new bug where:

1. Initially the main jEdit window was focused in the managed layer.
2. I opened the "Search & Replace" dialog which appeared in the floating layer.
3. I typed a few printable key characters but the dialog was not
rendering my input in the "search" box. As before, the dialog
responded to click events, however.
4. I closed the dialog and suddenly, all the printable characters I
typed were played out (as if they were buffered until now and suddenly
released in sequential order -- like a macro) in the main jEdit
window.

So wmii tells the dialog window to take keyboard focus, and that isn't
happening. Can wmii check whether a client has taken keyboard focus?
If the client hasn't taken focus, can wmii remind the client to take
keyboard focus again?

> If there's a race condition, it's not in wmii, but in the
> Java app or runtime.

Yes, this seems to be a bug in the GUI layer of the Java runtime.

Thanks for your consideration.