Re: [wmii] Adding cpu usage to status bar

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 16:48:53 -0400

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 10:16:18AM -0700, Manuel Rotter wrote:
>top -b -d 1 -n 2|grep Cpu|awk 'BEGIN { FS = " " } { print $2 }'|tail
>-n 1 | sed 's/us,//g')
>
>This should echo the right cpu usage...top -n 1 seems to be not
>right(sometimes?).
>We also had another Way of doing it, probably more reliable, but i am
>sorry, i can't tell you that. It has to do something with /proc/stat,
>but for me this was enough.

The only real problem I have with this is that the wall time of
top -n 1 is ~.5sec on my machine, and it has to compute a lot of
data other than overall CPU utilization. I don't think it's
suitable for a status script when used as such.

--
Kris Maglione
Saying that Java is good because it works on all platforms is like